10 January 2010

So, what'll it be?

I read today that based purely on its numbers, Generation Y (those born roughly between the years of mid 1970s to late 1990s) is going to be the largest consumer population that America has seen yet.

That means, my fellow Gen Yers, we have a lot of decisions on our shoulders.
I also read that Generation Y is increasingly interested in specialty tea, green movements, sustainability, and product source information.

It seems very hopeful.
But, let's keep on track Gen Y.

I also read that there is a boom in RTD Tea products. This is your Nestea(tm) and Arizona(tm( and Snapple(tm) products, for example. I'm also assuming Jet Tea(tm) would be included in this cut, although they were not specifically mentioned. The problem with this, Gen Y, is that we haven't been reading our labels all too carefully if these products are booming. Keep in mind that high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners and artificial flavors or colours don't fit into the sustainability or green movements.

So, this hopeful interpretation of Gen Y varies. We seem to want to know where our products are coming from, we seem to care about the environment more than our parents and their parents, and we seem to care about quality of product.

But, at the same time, I know plenty of us Gen Yers are still eating at McDonald's or Panda Express or shoveling in Taco Bells "liquified re-animated beef" into our mouths. I know plenty of us are still using shampoos that bleed chemicals into our environment and waterways. I know plenty of us are still pouring Heniz Ketchup on our fries.

So, I ask you, Generation Y, to stick to your guns - or at least the guns we seem to be toting. And I ask you, as a part of you: let's change the world for the better. Let's continue to push for truly good practices from companies. Let's continue to push for better product choices from our peers. Let's continue to care about what goes into our food and our bodies and our world. And let's show the generations after us that the grown ups care about the world they are going to live in.

2 Thought(s):

Blogger Fateduel thought...

I think to rid us of the cancerous tumor we've contracted we'll need something more delicate than the guns we're used to sticking to. We need the sharpened razor of a sword so we can excise it like a surgeon.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Ralikat thought...

I do see what you mean. And, I would agree except that the image of a sword is outdated and therefore not as relevant to the public. I think, perhaps, a better image than either of these would be to keep on the road we started out on, to not be sidetracked onto other roads, and to not be lured into taking exits that lead us nowhere.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home