31 December 2009

A Breath of New Air

Here is something very imperative to remember.

"Don't take yourself too seriously."

That's always the problem isn't it? We have a very high opinion of ourselves individually. Each one of us sees ourselves as gods and prophets and leaders and teachers and parents and elders and the top of the highest mountain in the world. We have a shit-load of self-importance that we hulk around on our shoulders trying to prove how incredible we are.

A complete stranger said, "I just want you to know that when I drink whiskey I apparently become an unrepentant sociopath with a sense of entitlement a mile across. However, I appear to have a conscience when sober, because I feel bad about having picked your pocket the other night at a show."

Sometimes, I'm an unrepentant sociopath with a sense of entitlement a mile across, too. Sometimes, I think I'm mighty great.

Hold it right there for a moment. Mighty - great? What is "great"? Who determines the definition of greatness, and who decides that it is universally applicable?

We are all only one person. And one person is only just as "great" as any other person. Wealth and status and accomplishment are all illusion.

We are not going anywhere but around the sun, circle after circle after circle.

Oh, but we take ourselves so seriously, don't we?
Like we have a monopoly on truth somehow. Like we see all there is to see and have all the answers there are to find and have been through all there is to experience. And we are so wise.

I'm sorry, but I know very little. I see what I see and I feel what I feel and I have been where I've been.

Does that make me better at seeing or feeling or being?

All anyone does is do what they do. And that's all I do, everyday, too.
I am a human and everyone else is a human. And that's all there is to it.

So, I' going to try and not take myself so intensely seriously. And I'm going to try to not take life so seriously, either.

All we do is live until we're done living. And in living, we are just going round and round the sun and the moon is going round and round us, and we pass through the cycles of life until we don't anymore. Then, we become pieces of the dust that blows on the breath of God.

So, in the new year of humanity, let's all try to not take our own busyness so seriously and try to see the deeper truths, together.

Welcome, my friends, to 2010.

0 Thought(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home