08 July 2005

a signature for the city

I just remembered. This is what I really want:

The best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.

Okay. Fine. Yes, it's cheesey and cliche and probably a really bad way of saying something that otherwise could have been pretty valuable. And I'll even admit my own distaste in it's lack of stylic finesse or innovative wittiness. But come on - it is simple.

And besides, said better, it'd be what I want to find out there, somewhere. Freedom and wings to fly and all of that silliness. But by love. Not neediness.

Never neediness.
-------
And on another note?
-------
You pretended like you knew me so well. Pretended like you cared. Like you'd stay when the river went dry and the sun went black and the world went cold. Pretended like you'd be there - when the world was done and the words were said and my life was all lived out. You made me believe it. Believe in you. In your words.

But you decieved me. Decieved everyone. Made life a lie and then laid down on a bed of thorns to make everyone feel sorry for you. While you were the criminal, the lier, the murderer of innocent things.

And you -- you just sat there, let it all go on. You let them destroy this world. Let them bear and break and destroy everything. And all the while, you did nothing.

I don't understand -- can't comprehend. Wouldn't try to understand you if it took a lifetime. Wouldn't look back at you, now not worth a second glance. Wouldn't give the time to you - alone and shivering and cold because you won't go inside.

I won't save you. And you blame me.

But it doesn't matter. Makes no difference - I'm done. Done caring, done stopping, done trying.

Done loving.

Done thinking of it. Done having nightmares from it. Done trying to just get rid of it.

So here, I'll sign on the dotted line that gives the city the right to haul this old wreckage away. And I'll get my money for what they think it costs. And I'll forget all about the oil stains left in my soul, out front. And I'll move from this old house. And I won't think of it again.

No one should expect letters or lovers or hopeful dreams to come from here. Don't expect happy things or good things or better things to make life all better off. It won't come. Not now, anyhow.

Because I'm just going to do my time - just going to do what I've got to - and be done. And one day, when its all over, I'll see you all on the other side. And we'll know then that it's all finally done. And we'll all be alright.

But until then, remember. When they ask you where I am - just tell them that I'm done.

-RK

1 Thought(s):

Blogger Brandy R. thought...

Ya so I know I've already said this, but... I AM TOTALLY LINKING YOU!!!

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home