31 May 2005

nothing new

Nothing special, or significant. Nothing out of the ordinary way that things are.
Splendid. So, I'm home. That's all.

Here's what I've been thinking:
Maybe, to start off with, I could make a telephone call to somewhere in China - or maybe even Japan. I'd wait until someone picked up, and I'd hope they speak English. They will, of course.

Then, I'll tell them about everything. Just like that. And they'll find it amusing or sad or deplorable or wonderful or epic. They'll probably write a novel about it someday - in Chinese or Japanese, of course. But they won't say any of that. They'll be quiet, just breathing on the other end of the line.

They'll say they don't feel well, but they don't know why. They'll be lying of course. But I'll believe them, or pretend to because I don't speak Chinese or Japanese, and I don't think they'd like to talk about it in English anyway. And that'll be fine.

Then, no one will say anything - because I don't speak Chinese or Japanese and their English is failing - because in China or Japan it's obviously very late. Then, finally, they will say I should have known that - that it was late in China or Japan. But I'll confess that I didn't think of it, didn't even consider it.

One of us will make a joke, in English - and we'll both laugh. That'll clear the air. Their English will come back for a while even. So will mine. We'll talk for a little longer, but the converstaion won't be going anywhere. I'll try to keep on talking, trying to make myself sound Chinese or Japanese speaking English. They won't notice, or if they do - they won't admit it.

They'll say they have to go - that the sun is coming up - that the market is opening - that they have things to do. I'll try not to be upset. I understand, sure. They can't go on in English - alright, fair enough. They'll say goodbye. They'll say it in Chinese or Japanese. I'll want to say something back - but I don't speak Chinese or Japanese, you know. English just wouldn't do. So I don't say anything.

I just hang up the phone. I think to myself how strange it was that I talked to someone in China or Japan. I'll tell myself how one day - in ten or twenty years I'll laugh about all this. Then, I'll remember I can laugh about it now. I will - I'll laugh.

And I'll go to Panda Express and order orange chicken with chow mein noodles and a side of sweet and sour sauce to remind me about it every so often, eating it with chopsticks from some poor producer somewhere in the middle of some nameless factory - some man with a family, trying just to get by. And I'll laugh.

-RK

3 Thought(s):

Blogger Fateduel thought...

China (or Japan) is a fun place. Or at least so I have been told. Or at least so I have read. Or at least so I have assumed. Based on pop media.
Nevermind, I have no idea.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Resident Apt. Six thought...

I know this isn't likely to be the sort of response you are looking for after a post like that but here goes anyway:
Wow, you're writting has gone through some sort of leap. That post and the ones associated with it are high quality. Your use of metaphor has matured and evolved considerably. I also appreciate the blending of "actual" and "fictional" events that you have been exhibiting recently.
One other note: this summer if you are looking for reading I would highly reccomend anything written by Milan Kundera. I have only read "Immortality," but I can assure you that he is an exceptional and amazing author.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Ralikat thought...

LOL. That is an amazing response to a post like this Sparkala darling. Thank you so much for the compliment *blush* I'm glad you're enjoying. And I must look into that author - thank you so much for the recommendation. Always in search of new books, new authors. *sigh* I'm such a bibliophile, I swear!

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home