07 February 2005

Let them remain private.

It's the answer, isn't it? The one we always want to give. The one we always feel, but don't always seem to say. It's the thing we all think - but don't all have the heart, or the nerve, or the strength to say.

But we all think to say it.

Don't. Keep them private. Keep your things to yourself, and I'll keep mine to me. Don't ask to really know me, and I won't ask it of you. We'll just be for a while - and after a while we'll pretend we're happy, until we can't anymore.

Then, we'll wait. Maybe even one day we'll forget what we're waiting for. Maybe, one day, we'll fade away. But if we don't, we'll do what they did.

And we'll wait for Godot.

It's the best thing we can do. It's the best thing to be done about it; best thing in the world to be said about it. There's nothing else to be of it. So it's best we say what the thing is, and we pretend like it's just passing the time.

And so, we wait.

I'm pretty good at waiting. Good at passing the time. Just like Gogo - I guess you'd say. I can pass the time. I'd rather not. I'd rather go. But I can pass the time.

So, I do. I sit, and I wait...and I pass the time.

It would have seemed like, by now, enough time would have passed. But time is a vacuum, stuck in a capsule. Time does not pass. It does not change, it does not come or go. It may rise and fall, but it always falls back on itself. It may wax and wane, but it always wanes back to itself. It may even fade and change, but it always fades back to the place where it began.

History repeating itself.

We see it everywhere. We sense it everywhere. We feel it, even in ourselves - even in our bones. We know the inevitability. Yet still, we are waiting.

Like foolish partners on a barren landscape, with nothing but a tree that wouldn't hang us, we wait. For someone who is never coming, we wait. For life to get better and the world to be different and tomorrow to be different than today, we wait.

But it isn't. Tomorrow is just like today. Yesterday is just the same. Life falls on and falls on. Water becomes vapor only to become water again. Cycles circle back on themselves, over and over.

And yet, for reasons unknown...we wait.

Like sitting in a wasteland, waiting for some unknown that we've never seen nor heard to save us -

We wait.

-RK

1 Thought(s):

Blogger Frankie thought...

*sigh*

Yes, the waiting... isn't that fun?! ;) Not really, but something we all do. Something we all FEAR.

Wanting to let someone in, but never, ever being able to do it.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home