17 February 2005

19 to 20, and so it was.

Sitting in my room now, eating Cheetos(R) Twisted(TM) with my roommate, Avi, who doesn't really like them...but we both want to eat them anyway.

I want to get my mind off of things. I have work I should be doing. A paper due on Friday, a chapter to read by tomorrow. But that isn't the sort of thinking I'm apt to be doing right now. I just want to get my mind off of it all...

The Cheetos(R) both help and don't. They bring back memories, memories I don't want to think about just yet - but they also occupy the thought process. Bite. Chew. Mush. Swallow. It makes life a little simpler, breaking it down like that - just things you do. Not really the things you think about, but just things you do.

I spent almost an hour writing a letter. I shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't be doing any of the things I'm doing right now. I should be doing my reading. I should be working on a paper I have no idea what I am writing about. I shouldn't be talking or eating or thinking...or spending an hour writing a letter.

It even be better if I just forgot my homework and went to bed. But I won't do that. Not since I got on the computer...not since I started writing. I won't go to bed, but I'll wake up tomorrow and I'll be tired and thus miserable - and I'll have to stay up all night writing a paper.

...But I won't do that either. I'll just sit here, in front of the computer, thinking...or brooding, or maybe even writing another letter for no one to read. Either way, I won't do what I need to do.

I'll eat 99c Cheetos (R) from home, and I'll sit here, thinking about how I ought not to be eating at midnight...and I'll go on just the same as I always have. Because that's what we do in life. We go on - just like we always have. Even when things change, even when things are wrong and we can't get a grip on anything, even when the world is breaking to pieces and we don't know why - we just go on, like we always have.

Sigh. So that's just what I'll do. Go on. Just like I always have...

-RK

0 Thought(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home