14 May 2004

butterfly

What do you do? What does it mean? Where does it all come from - and what do you do with it once you've seen it?

Why does it hurt so bad when it's going away? And why can't it just fade quickly, like the mist over the morning sun. Why can't my life be like a flower - one day beautiful, and then wilted and gone the next? Why can't I be like a butterfly - wanted by everyone, beautiful and wonderous, enigmatic and oblique; And then gone the next moment. Dead the next day...before anyone realizes that I'm just an insect with dusty wings, just a moth with pretty colors, just a house fly with jewelry on.

Because you see, if I was a butterfly, I wouldn't have to fall apart. I wouldn't have to wonder, or worry, or care if I was loved. I would be careless, innocent, and free. I would soar to the highest tips of rosepetals and flutter throught cotton-candy skies. I would watch the sunrise from a treetop and see the sunset from the other side of the world. I would be a bird, but softer. I would be an eagle, but gentler. I would be magnificence, wrapped with a bow. I could dream dreams that I wouldn't have to see fall apart. I could be enamoured with the sun and make love to the moon, and never have to wonder if they loved me back. I could fall like sweet rain and always have glory-filled wings to pick me up before I hit the ground. I could fail completely, and have the wind to hold me before I sank too far. I could dance like a drunken sailor, sing like a hummerbird's heart - and nobody would know the difference. I could sail between your heart and mine....dreaming dreams of ecstacy trapped in forever - and I would never have to be wrong...

...if only I were a butterfly.

And if I were a butterfly, I could suck sweet necters all day long and never be sick. never worry about being "fat" and never wondering if I was excercising enough. I would be lovely because of what I was - not because of what I did. I would flutter through the air and play with little children as they all laughed and sang - and never once would I fear. The world would reach out to touch me, but I would float off like a warm enigma filling the air with breathless waiting. I would be like a soft breeze, not a rampant storm. I would float through the rosepetaled sky, throught the milky sugarbeaded stars, through the soft black velvet midnight, through the fuzzy cottoncandy clouds, through the onyx nightmare out into the diamond daydream.

I would be free from myself, free from the earth, free from everything and everyone. Free from love to love. Free from prisons that we live in. Free from the cells we decorate with gray posters, and free from the cinder-block dreams we try to ignore while we strive for some better life. I would be free from that all...free to be myself...

...free to be a butterfly. So free, so sweet, so innocent, so unknowing. Free from the careless death and the cares that weight us down. Free to dream and dance through a sky littered with life. Beautiful. Calm. Free.

If only I could be you - butterfly...

-RK

2 Thought(s):

Anonymous Anonymous thought...

Touching and beautiful. . . Need I say more? Your writing can truly speak to the soul my friend. Don't ever stop doing it. ~Frankie

4:18 AM  
Blogger Ralikat thought...

Thanks for reading...thanks for the swell comments =0)

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home